Airdrie 1-3 Falkirk

Airdrie took on Falkirk looking to upset the division 1 leaders for the third time. The diamonds had beaten Clyde when top of the league and held St Mirren to a draw whilst they sat top of the pile. Sandy Stewart sent his men out wearing the away top, which had been worn on the two previous occasions, mentioned above. It wasn't to prove a lucky strip as the Bairns claimed all 3 points. Airdrie fell behind after only 7 mins when Russell Latapy fired a shot in off the post from 20 yards out, Airdrie were pulling themselves back into the match with some good midfield play and young winger Wullie McLaren making some decent runs in to the Falkirk danger area, However they were met by a superb performance from former Airdrieonians keeper Alan Ferguson who kept them out on several occasions with some fine saves. Airdrie's hopes were dealt a blow on the stroke of half time when Kevin James got a head on a crossball allowing Andy Thompson to fire in the knockdown. Airdrie replaced Docherty with McManus for the start of the second half but it wasn't till 60 mins when Sandy introduced Alan Gow into the game for the hard working McKeown that things started to happen for Airdrie. Ten minutes later and Airdrie were right back in it when that man Owen Coyle pounced in the box to fire home his 7th league goal of the season. Everything was set up for an exciting finish but Falkirk were having none of it and 4 minutes later some neat play from the front men allowed Andy Lawrie to easily slot home from close in to regain a two goal lead. The game fizzled out after this and Robert replaced the tiring McLaren with 5 minutes left on the clock the youngster looks as if he needs a few more games to get back to his best form. At the final whistle it was Falkirk and John Hughes who were happiest despite some bizarre moaning from Yogi about added on time when 3-1 up and 90 mins just over all in all a pretty average airdrie showing with some work needing put in on the defensive side of things before next weeks difficult trip to Dumfries to face a QOS side who have beaten the Diamonds twice already this season.